Friday, January 12, 2018

Reading Profile

My favorite genre to read is romance with fantasy, historical fiction, and young adult not far behind. I love that in the romance genre you are almost always guaranteed a happily ever after and there are few genres within the romance genre that I don't read. I always set my reading goal at 100 books but I'm hoping to beat that again this year by at least 5-10 books. I am currently reading Ruthless by Lexi Blake. This past year I've started reading more novels in verse. I was surprised by how much I liked them. I'm looking forward to getting out of my normal genres.

Currently my top ten favorite reads are: (This order changes constantly) :)

  1. Lord of the Fading Lands by C. L. Wilson (Fantasy Romance)
  2. Neither Wolf Nor Dog: On Forgotten Roads with an Indian Elder by Kent Nerburn 
  3. The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty (Contemporary Fiction)
  4. Comanche Moon by Catherine Anderson (Historical Romance/Native American Romance)
  5. Dance of Cloaks by David Dalglish (Fantasy)
  6. Styxx by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Paranormal Romance)
  7. Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown (Non-fiction)
  8. The Chosen by J. R. Ward (Paranormal Romance)
  9. Marked by P. C. Cast and Kristin Cast (YA Romance)
  10. The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran (Historical Fiction)
The last ten books I read are:
  1. Blood Fury by J. R. Ward (Paranormal Romance)
  2. One of Us is Lying by Karen McManus (YA)
  3. Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys (YA)
  4. Love Beyond Time by Bethany Clare (Time Travel/Historical Romance)
  5. Quiet Until the Thaw by Alexandra Fuller (Fiction)
  6. Caroline's Passion by Peggy L. Henderson (Historical Romance)
  7. Autoboyography by Christina Lauren (YA Romance)
  8. The Last Outlaw by Rosanne Bittner (Historical Romance)
  9. The Ghostwriter by Alessandra Torre (Contemporary Fiction)
  10. Without Merit by Colleen Hoover (Contemporary Fiction)

8 comments:

  1. Holly,
    I am really looking forward to your historical romance expertise this semester! I have not dabbled in the romance genre, and I have so many patrons who ask for romance, but very specifically historical romance (and even more specific, Christian historical romance, which I didn't even really know existed). I am choosing to read a romance novel for week 6, and had already thought that historical romance may be where I look so I can at least have some idea of what my patrons are reading. I noticed you also have some Native American influence in your tastes. I'm wondering if you have a connection to that in some way? I am not Native American, but I have spent a lot of time in sweat lodges, so I am always curious to talk to others about their interests or experiences.
    Looking forward to a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy!
      Tracie Peterson has a wide variety of Inspirational Romance books. Do you know what genre you'd like to read within historical romance? Inspirational, Regency, something with cowboys? I'd be happy to help you find a few options. My minor was Native American Studies as an undergrad so it's a topic I've always been interested in.

      Delete
  2. Holly,

    I am so glad to see that someone else has read Marked by P.C and Kristin Cast. I read this series in high school, and have continued with it as new books have come out in the series. But What I think is really interesting is that all of the sudden there is a huge splurge of interest in the series at my library. For years they sat on the shelf and never went out, and now every time I look they are never in. While I like that people are discovering older series that are just as good as new publications, I have to wonder what happened. Do you have any read-alike suggestions for this series, as that is another question I have been asked quite frequently recently by adults and teens alike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea,

      I would suggest C. C. Hunter's Shadow Falls Series and Cassandra Clare's Shadowhunters series, both have strong female protagonists with a circle of friends to help them. For those that like the vampire aspect of the stories, maybe the Vampire Diaries books? For those that like the Greek mythology aspects maybe Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series or even the Kane Chronicles if they like that.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful reading profile! I think you are well prepared for this class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Holly!

    What are some novels in verse you've read recently, if you don't mind? It's a writing style I too thought I wouldn't like, but it's grown on me and I actually find myself looking forward to a book if I know it'll be in verse. Most of them have been YA books though, so I'm always on the lookout for more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Malissa!

      Recently the only novels in verse I have read are Children's Fiction: Little Dog, Lost by Marion Bauer, The Crossover by Kwame Alexander and Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai.

      Delete

Week 16 Prompt

How reading and books have changed for me since I was a child: Ebooks are one of the biggest changes since I was a child. My parents made ...