Sunday, March 25, 2018

Historical Fiction-Cleopatra's Daughter

Image result for cleopatra's daughter michelle moran

Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran

Egyptian Royals Series #3

Summary:

When Marc Antony and Cleopatra die, their surviving children are left at the mercy of their enemy, Octavian. Their children are taken to Rome in chains and only two survive the journey, the ten-year-old twins, Selene and Alexander. Told from Selene's perspective this story details their time in Rome as "honored guests" of Octavian. As they grow up in Rome they are faced with many challenges from the personal ambitions of Octavian's family who view the twins as threats to political uprisings in which they become personally involved. Selene is charming and intelligent like her mother and works to secure a future for herself with Juba II, son of the defeated king of Numidia.

Characteristics of Historical Fiction:


  • This story was very well researched and includes a lot of accurate historical detail, including the setting, (both briefly in Egypt at the beginning as well as in Rome) Historical events were also used in the story, such as two slave trials which were based on two such trials that happened in Ancient Rome. 
  • The tone of this novel is at times light such as when Selene gets to work on her drawings and sketching or in their school but at most the tone is more serious as the fate of the children comes into question. 
  • The story line of this story focuses mainly on Selene's journey with brief instances of the other characters who interact with her. This novel also raises the moral issues of slavery in Ancient Rome and how Selene especially wants to change that, along with Juba. 
  • Almost all of the characters, especially the main ones, were real and they do fit the time in which the story takes place. Whereas some might find Selene's education too advanced for a woman, we are reminded that she is the daughter of the woman who was considered one of the most learned women of her time. They were not allowed to be children and had to live in an adult world from a very young age, which is shown in the novel so it makes those parts fit within the story and time period. The characters' actions fit with the historical times and the details of that time period. The actions that Selene takes through the novel makes sense within not only the historical setting but also that of her character. She is portrayed as intelligent and bold and her actions fit those descriptions. 
  • This novel is longer but it is a fast-paced and very intriguing story that pulls the reader in. Years pass within this novel but it never gets dull or boring. There is a great balance of historical detail and the plot of the story. One never over powers the other.
  • While much of the novel is accurate and "authentic" the author took creative liberties with a few aspects to make it a better reading experience, such as changing wording to better fit what a modern reader is familiar with, such as using books instead of codices or changing the Roman practice of kicking doors as opposed to knocking on them. 

Read-a-likes:

Adult:

Fiction:

  • Nefertiti and The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran (The first two books in this series which detail the life of the famous queens Nefertiti (step-mother of King Tut) and Nefertari (niece of Nefertiti and wife of Ramesses the Great)
  • Lily of the Nile (Cleopatra's Daughter #1) by Stephanie Dray (Details Selene in Rome but with a fantasy aspect as she has powers which the ruler wants to use for his own gains as she fights to see her mother's dreams for Egypt come true.)
Non-Fiction:


  • Ancient Rome on 5 Denarii a Day by Philip Matyszak (Ancient Rome)
  • Plutarch's Lives, Volume 2 (Modern Library Classics) by Plutarch (Historical figures of Ancient Rome)
Online resource:

My opinion of Cleopatra's Daughter:

I absolutely loved this novel! Normally I lean more toward romance because historical fiction can sometimes get really bogged down with all the detail but Michelle Moran does a great job of finding that balance between the detail and the plot. I really loved the first two in this trilogy too so these are three I would recommend to anyone interested in historical fiction or Ancient Egypt and Rome. I've always been interested in Ancient Egypt but this was the first I had heard of Selene and I thought it was great!

5 comments:

  1. When I was growing up, I was SURE(!) that I wanted to be an Egyptologist. While that didn't quite pan out, I've been fascinated with all things Egypt my whole life. This series sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna,
      I also thought I was going to be an Egyptologist. In eighth grade every project I did was about Ancient Egypt. This trilogy was great! :)

      Delete
  2. This book sounds awesome! I don't know how it evaded me! Your summary, detailed appeals, and readalikes are fantastic. Full points! I can't wait to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure I read this book a long time ago. Is it YA, because I recall feeling that it was YA, but it was shelved with adult fiction, and that really annoyed me. If I'm reading YA, fine, but I want to know its YA before starting it! Parts of the book I'm recalling were as you say "light" but I felt they were lacking depth. The disconnect with the intended audience and what I thought was an adult book led to this frustration. Any thoughts on that? Another really good read a like for this might be the biography of Cleopatra: A Life, by Stacy Schiff or The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George. I'm definitely going to check your your recommendations though, I wanted to be an Egyptologist too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      This book is not YA. It is an adult historical fiction novel. Thank you for your other recommendations. I'll check them out. :)

      Delete

Week 16 Prompt

How reading and books have changed for me since I was a child: Ebooks are one of the biggest changes since I was a child. My parents made ...