Sunday, March 25, 2018

Week 11 Prompt

Personally, I think that there is a lot of appeal to both ebooks and audiobooks. For ebooks I think that the lower price definitely comes into play. But it is also a way to free up space. Readers are now able to get a lot more books because with ebooks and audiobooks they do not have to worry about making room on a shelf for them. I am the kind of person that I like both regular books and ebooks. I don't really like one over the other. Sometimes I get ebooks instead of regular books because they cost less, they are immediately in one of the various apps on my phone and sometimes I tend to read ebooks quicker than I do regular books. But other times I like having that book in my hand. I know that a lot of people love audiobooks. Recently I've seen a lot more people come into the children's department of my library asking for the audiobook version of a book, even when we have the book in. For me, I have never been able to find an audiobook that I could actually get into. Even narrators with an accent haven't been able to get me to like them. Whenever a narrator goes to do a voice of the opposite gender, I usually can't get over the voice. It distracts me so much I completely get drawn out of the story. I keep hoping I'll find one that I like but so far, no luck. My aunt and I use to read a lot of the same books and because we were reading the same series I would usually just loan her my physical copy of the book. Because the writing was so small, it would take her a lot longer to read but now that she has an ereader and can change the size of the text, she is able to read faster and seems to really enjoy it more. Audiobooks are also great for car rides and a lot of patrons have come in saying they're going on a trip and wanted an audiobook or two to enjoy on the journey. Personally, having an ebook or regular book, I don't feel like one over the other helps determine or affects my knowledge of the genre. I don't go by book length when thinking about that. The cover usually has more input when I think about the genre type.

2 comments:

  1. You make some excellent points, these formats aren't for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made a point that reminded me of the experience I had with my first ebook, Slade House, and the second one, The Bone Clocks, but the same author. In both cases I felt frustration not knowing how much longer a chapter or the book would be. Of course the ebook could have told me, but it's not the same as when you hold a book in your hand and you realize with anticipation that there's not much left! This intangibility is a major barrier for me. I feel the same about buying ebooks and buying digital movies on iTunes etc. After you watch it, where's it go? You don't have to store it, or make space, but its almost like its as never there. I like the physicality of books and dvd and so on, but don't miss music cds, which take up so much room.

    ReplyDelete

Week 16 Prompt

How reading and books have changed for me since I was a child: Ebooks are one of the biggest changes since I was a child. My parents made ...