Saturday, April 28, 2018

Week 16 Prompt

How reading and books have changed for me since I was a child:

Ebooks are one of the biggest changes since I was a child. My parents made sure that I always had access to books, whether it was them buying children's books, gifts from family and friends or books from the library. But they were always print books. When I was really little they would read them to me and then I would read them myself as I got older. There were not as many options then as there are now. Now there are more options such as board books for the little little kids which offer a variety of ways to experience the book such as touch-and-feel, lift-the-flap, etc. There are also audio books that children have access to as well as ebooks that they can get free from the library. A lot of primary books also have included a CD so that the story can also be read out loud while following along in the book.

Future of books/publishing:

This may be because I am also a creative writer but there is a shift from traditional publishing to self-publishing. It is gaining in popularity among not only writers but also readers as well. The majority of the authors who choose to self-publish their books now are making sure to put in the time and effort to produce a quality work, making sure that it is edited by a professional and having a professional cover created. Traditional publishers do not completely dominate the market anymore since self-publishing continues to grow in popularity. So one of the changes could be that we might find more self-published works in libraries and not only ones from local authors.

I like to hope that we will read more in the future, especially younger kids. So often they come into the library needing to find a book from a specific genre because it is for an assignment and one of the first things they say is that they don't like reading at all and that they want a short book that just meets the requirements set by their teacher. In the future I would like to see this change. It would be great if more people enjoyed reading and made it a part of their lives, even if only a few pages at a time. I think that the popularity of ebooks and audiobooks will continue to grow, especially with ebooks being cheaper than print copies but I think that there will always be readers who prefer print copies.

3 comments:

  1. I think getting self-published works into libraries might be a bit more of a fight in some areas. I know the librarians in my area don't want to order self-pub titles very often, and they take a lot of prodding to order some from indie publishers as well. I think that mindset is going to really need to change if there's going to be growth in the library and collection development along with growth in the publishing world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read an article that talk about the fact the more writer were self-publishing and I think this is a trend that will continue. I remember a few years back see that some library were trying to help patron to be able to self publish with the stipulation that the library can add it to their ebook collection. I haven't heard any more about this but I think it would be a neat program to do in library. To encourage patron to write as well as read.

    ReplyDelete

Week 16 Prompt

How reading and books have changed for me since I was a child: Ebooks are one of the biggest changes since I was a child. My parents made ...