Thursday, April 5, 2018

Week 13 Prompt

Personally, I think it's great that adults like to read YA and New Adult. I read both and there are a lot of adults that come into my library and ask for those books as well. Most of the new adult, especially new adult romance seems to get lumped in with romance but YA is definitely kept separate. I think libraries and librarians should make sure that readers feel comfortable reading and looking into YA. I think that could help with the impression that YA is only for older teens and not for adults. Most YA is promoted with teens in mind and it would be a great idea to include adults in that as well, even if it's just including YA books in read-a-likes or suggestion lists along with the adult fiction/non-fiction. Many people read for enjoyment and it's completely okay to not like a certain genre after reading something in it but I think it can be limiting when people think they shouldn't read something because "it was written for teens." or something similar. I think it would be helpful to survey adult readers as well to find out if they like and read YA so that librarians could take that into consideration with promotion and collection development.

1 comment:

  1. I 100% agree with your prompt response; there is a lot we librarians can do to promote YA to teens and adults. Minor deduction for brevity, but your points are solid!

    ReplyDelete

Week 16 Prompt

How reading and books have changed for me since I was a child: Ebooks are one of the biggest changes since I was a child. My parents made ...