Thursday, April 5, 2018

Young Adult-Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Image result for daughter of smoke and bone

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #1) by Laini Taylor

Summary:

Karou is unique: she's human but she was raised by demons. They took her in as a baby and are the only family she's ever known or wanted. She's always wanted to know more about her family and the world they come from. Even though she is allowed a small glimpse into their world, she's kept in the dark for her protection. That changes when black handprints begin appearing on doors all over the world, including the door that leads to her family. Soon after this begins she meets Akiva, an angel who's haunted by the tragedy in his past. He's angry, cold, and is working to punish those he deems responsible for the death of the woman he once loved. He soon finds that his heart is not as closed off as he thought when he meets Karou, who he is drawn to even as he tries to fight it. They're on opposite sides of a war but when secrets are revealed they'll have to choose: a side or each other.

Young Adult Characteristics:


  • Younger main characters: Karou is 17 and though Akiva is an angel, appears 17 even though he is much older. They age differently so he does not seem older. 
  • Issues faced: Even though this is a paranormal YA novel, the characters are facing important issues and topics such as love, war, family, etc. Even thought the characters are younger it does not take away from the issues they are facing. Karou is a teenager and fights with her family but she still loves them and in the story, works to protect them. This causes a conflict later with Akiva that she has to deal with. Karou also has to help her best friend end up with a boy she likes so even in the paranormal YA we get instances of the typical teenager that helps make the story better.
  • Likable characters: Karou is an extremely likable character. She's funny, sarcastic, kind and a well rounded and developed character. Even when Akiva is considered an "enemy" he is still a character that readers seem to gravitate to. He's tortured and damaged but he's strong but like Karou, he makes mistakes and all this makes him a well rounded character as well. He's not as outgoing as Karou but when the reader gets to see those glimpses of the happy and warm Akiva, it makes them that much more powerful.
  • Pacing: Like most YA this is a fast paced story. It is action filled with slow parts to give the reader a breather but it is a quick read. It unfolds in a way that keeps the reader turning pages, wanting more of the story.

Read-a-likes:

YA:
  • Marked (House of Night #1) by P. C. and Kristin Cast (Strong female protagonist in a paranormal YA)
  • Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush #1) by Becca Fitzgerald (Angels)
  • Fallen (Fallen #1) by Lauren Kate (Angels)
  • City of Bones (Mortal Instruments #1) by Cassandra Clare (descendants of angels)
Adult: (I chose to include Adult read-a-likes since like our prompt for this week, many adults also like YA and might want read-a-likes in adult books as well.)

  • Covet (Fallen Angels #1) by J. R. Ward (Angels)
  • Angel's Blood (Guild Hunter #1) by Nalini Singh (Angels)
  • Wicked Nights (Angels of the Dark #1) by Gena Showalter (Angels)

TV Show recommendations: (These two shows immediately came to mind when I was thinking about this book so I thought I would include some other media recommendations.)

  • Shadowhunters (Based on Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series. It's awesome.)
  • Supernatural (It's got demons and angels and I think readers would enjoy the series. Also, Cas is amazing.)

My opinion of Daughter of Bone and Smoke:

I loved this book! I could not put it down and was immediately thankful that I had checked out all three in the trilogy so I could continue the story and start the second book. I liked that this switched up the typical angel and demon type of story and put a unique twist on it. This is one of those books that I would immediately recommend if someone came in asking for a paranormal YA. It is a large YA book but it is one of those books that as you're reading you don't feel like you're reading a huge book, it's fast paced and intriguing and kept me hooked from the beginning.

2 comments:

  1. I like that you gave YA and adult read-a-likes. I have read some of the read-a-likes and really enjoyed the authors. I haven't read this one, but I'll have to try it sometime. I haven't seen the Shadowhunters TV show, but I read the books and saw the movie. I have been wanting to see it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Lindsey I LOVE that you included a mix of adult books in your readalikes. Great job on this annotation. This makes me want to start this series more than any other review I've read. Full points!

    ReplyDelete

Week 16 Prompt

How reading and books have changed for me since I was a child: Ebooks are one of the biggest changes since I was a child. My parents made ...