Sunday, February 4, 2018

Secret Shopper Summary

I went to a small local library in a rural community close to me but not one I'd be known at. I started out by asking the librarian if she could recommend a good book to read. I expected her to ask me a couple questions about what I liked to read or what I might be interested in. Instead, she led me over to where the new fiction is kept and told me that I might be able to find something I enjoyed from the new books. I tried giving some more information before she could return to the desk. I said that I had recently read a few books by Linda Lael Miller and really enjoyed them and asked if she could recommend a similar author. Again, she did not ask any follow up questions, and led me to Miller's books in their collection. When I said they were romances with cowboys she took me over to the romance section and started looking at the covers to find ones with cowboys on them and said I might like one of those.

Even though I was not able to find a book the librarian was friendly and not rude but she did not seem to know what to ask to help me find something that I might like. I think it would have been better if she had asked a couple quick questions about what I liked and maybe used an online resource to find a similar author instead of merely skimming their romance shelves.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you had such a meh experience, I appreciated that you kept trying to engage her! Solid effort! At least she was friendly and you learned what NOT to do :)

    ReplyDelete

Week 16 Prompt

How reading and books have changed for me since I was a child: Ebooks are one of the biggest changes since I was a child. My parents made ...