Thursday, February 15, 2018

Romance-Covet


Covet by J. R. Ward

The Fallen Angels #1

Summary:

Jim Heron, a man with a dark past becomes a fallen angel and is tasked with saving the souls of seven people from the seven deadly sins. If he fails, the world will end. His first assignment is Vin diPietro, a ruthless businessman who cares about himself and what he's earned. Things begin to change for Vin when he meets Jim and Marie-Terese, a woman running from her past. While Jim is trying to save not only Vin's soul and Marie-Terese's life, a demon in the guise of a beautiful and cunning woman is hoping to keep her claws in Vin. To get free of her clutches and save his soul, Vin will have to rely on Jim and a couple other tough as nails fallen angels but he'll have to let go of the past and entrust his heart to Marie-Terese if they're going to survive. If Vin and Marie are going to get their happily ever after then they're going to have to overcome their pasts and work with the fallen angels to defeat a demon.

Romance Characteristics:

  • The characters are very likable and are what one would expect from a paranormal romance. Jim is a hardcore assassin turned fallen angel savior. Vin is your suave businessman who gets what he wants. Marie-Terese has had a rough past and while she may be running, she's far from weak and won't back down. She'll do whatever it takes to protect herself and her family. 
  • While romance novels are almost always going to have a happily ever after, and Covet, is no exception, the journey the characters take to get there is anything but easy. 
  • The characters also need to change, whether it's learning to trust, risking opening their heart to another and potentially getting hurt, or putting another's safety before their own, they are on a character arc. They are not going to be the same person that they were when the story began. They're going to grow and change for the better. 
  • Even though there are outside forces impacting the plot, the story is character driven and their actions and inactions are what moves the story along.

Read-a-likes:

Adult romance:

  • Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J. R. Ward (A secondary character in Covet has his own story in the BDB) (Paranormal Romance-Vampires)
  • Lords of the Underworld series by Gena Showalter (Paranormal Romance-Immortal warriors are cursed to house the demons/sins from Pandora's box inside themselves after they rebel and open it. A secondary character is also a hilarious yet lethal angel.)
YA romance:

  • Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick (YA Paranormal Romance-Fallen angel hero)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1) by Cassandra Clare (YA Paranormal Romance-Shadowhunters, descendants of angels.)

My Opinion of Covet:

I loved this book! The love story was great and the paranormal elements were incorporated in a way that didn't make question it. I thought the premise of this story was great. Having read J. R. Ward before I am use to her having other points-of-view other than the hero and heroine, which is typical for a romance. I loved that the reader gets to experience some of the story from Jim's POV as well as that of one of the villains. While the attraction between Marie and Vin was quick, their relationship built slowly. I was definitely rooting for them and I'm excited to see who Jim has to save next. I will definitely be recommending this for any paranormal romance readers.

7 comments:

  1. I haven't read this series by J.R. Ward, but I have read the Black Dagger Brotherhood they are wonderful books. I have read most of the read-a-likes except Becca Fitzpatrick. I'll have to try this series, because I couldn't put the Black Dagger Brotherhood books down once I picked them up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this story sounded interesting because of the sort of love triangle that is established by Jim's need to save more than just one person. It sounded like the plot may get quite complicated with the several conflicts needing resolved. Did you think the plot-driven nature of the book compromised the usually character-driven nature of a Romance?

      Delete
    2. Hi Craig,
      Even though there is a lot going on in the story and the plot is very important, in my opinion I still feel like the story is character driven. Their actions are what move the story along, not the outside forces they are up against.

      Delete
  3. Hi Holly! I read 5 of the Black Dagger Brotherhood books and never got around to reading the rest. I thought the series got muddled with too many storylines, but I really did like Zsadist's story and, frankly, I would like to read more about the Lessers. It sounds like Covet might be worth a try. Which series do you like better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie,
      I've read the entire series so far and the spin off one and I loved them. If you ever feel like reading more of the BDB I would recommend giving them another shot. :) I knew I would like Covet but I didn't think I would like it as much as I did. But I don't think I can choose between the two series, I liked them both. Zsadist's story was one of my favorites too!

      Delete

Week 16 Prompt

How reading and books have changed for me since I was a child: Ebooks are one of the biggest changes since I was a child. My parents made ...